How to Clean a Cast Iron Barbecue
– Step 1: Clean the grill
– Step 2: Clean the body of the cast iron barbecue
– Step 3: Protect your barbecue from rust
During the summer months, barbecues are a popular occasion for family gatherings and celebrations. The traditional barbecue consists of a cast-iron container and a metal grill.
Maintaining the barbecue and its grill is essential to ensure its longevity and preserve tasty cooking.
Here are our tips for cleaning your cast iron barbecue.
1. Clean the grill
Ideally, it would help if you cleaned the grill after each use. Regular cleaning will prevent food from sticking to the grill while cooking.
To restore the shine to your grill:
– Start by brushing it with a wire brush to remove stuck-on food residue.
– Then, soak it in hot water with dishwashing liquid.
– Scrub the rack with a steel pad to remove all residue.
– Rinse the rack well.
Tip: It is best to do this while the grill is still warm, as the food residue will come off more quickly: be careful not to burn yourself!
2. Clean the body of the cast iron barbecue
Regular maintenance of a barbecue minimizes the formation of smoke during cooking and the risk of rust. To clean it properly:
– Wait until your barbecue has cooled down, then remove the ashes with a broom and dustpan.
– Brush the sides of the barbecue with a wire brush.
– Then scrub with baking soda on your brush.
– Remove the residue with the brush and dustpan.
Caution: avoid using products such as oven cleaner, which is very aggressive and will strip your barbecue!
3. Protect your barbecue from rust
If your barbecue sleeps outside, the most recommended solution is to install it under a tarp to protect it from the elements.
If you don’t have a tarp or are storing your barbecue for the winter, remember to coat it with cooking oil to protect it from rust.
Finally, if your barbecue has significantly deteriorated, it is possible to give it a new lease on life by repainting it with a special high-temperature resistant paint.
Below is a shortlist of what you will need to clean your grill.
Equipment needed to maintain a barbecue.
Bicarbonate of soda
Broom + shovel
Special high-temperature paint
Hope this post helps you to clean your grill. Remember to comment below.