In order to preserve the environment and to respect the ecological steps, the wastewater of all households must imperatively be cleansed. This means that homes are required to be connected to a municipal sewage system via a sewerage connection. But what is it? What are the advantages of its implementation? And how is it done? So, without further ado, let’s dive into this blog and learn some of the things you need to know about the sewage system in France.
What is a sewer connection?
A sewer connection is a collective sewage system that is designed to receive all of the population’s wastewater. It is generally installed under the public road. Its main purpose is to carry liquid waste to a special place called a sewage treatment plant for treatment. If your municipality has such a sewage system, then you must be connected to this system.
How do I get connected to a sewage system?
If you are obliged to connect to a collective sewerage system, then the following information will be very useful:
- Since there is work to be done, you will be responsible for paying the cost of the connection from your home to the public sewer. The municipality will finance the rest.
- You must request an authorization from your city hall in order to start the connection work. Once obtained, you can contact a qualified person to carry out the installation.
- Even if this sewerage system is designed to collect all liquid waste, you should not pour anything into it. The same applies to toxic products, cooking oil, or white spirit. This way, the quality of the installations will be preserved in the long term.
- You can trust a professional company to carry out your sanitary and plumbing installation.
What are the advantages of having a sewage system?
There are many advantages to being connected to a collective sewerage network:
- A network that is almost invisible, as it is often installed under public roads
- The municipality takes charge of maintenance work and ensures its operation
- The respect for the environment, because the wastewater is led to a purification center.
How does the implementation of the sewerage system work?
If you are required to have your home connected to a public sewage system, you will need to know the following information:
Who pays for the connection?
Although the municipality takes care of the financing of the connection to the sewerage system, there is still a part that must be co-financed by the individual. This generally concerns the cost of transporting your wastewater to the treatment plant. But rest assured, no one will knock on your door to ask for the amount to be paid. In fact, the municipality will advance your shares and charge you a sewer connection fee afterward to reimburse the cost of the work.
Who should I trust with the connection work?
For your information, you do not really have the right to choose a professional according to your conditions and criteria, as this right is reserved for the EPCI. This means that they can choose who they want. But they can also suggest a selection of qualified people who can do the work.
What if you had a pit before?
If you have used a pit before, then there is a certain thing you need to know. Before the sewerage connection work is carried out, it is imperative to disinfect your installation and also to empty it. Then you have to remove the pit and place a rainwater harvesting system in its place.
Sound off in the comments section below, and tell us what you want to read next and if you want to read more about the sewage system.