How to Clean Your Window
– Step 1: Prepare the material
– Step 2: Scrub the glass
– Step 3: Case 1: Use the squeegee, the French technique
– Step 3: Case 2: Use the squeegee, the American technique
A clean window is more aesthetic and lets in light and heat more easily. It is therefore essential to clean a window regularly.
There are many tricks to cleaning a window effectively. This post deals with an economical method used by professionals: squeegee cleaning. Once mastered, these few steps will guarantee clean and streak-free windows.
Note: to clean your PVC or aluminum window frame, all you need is a sponge, soapy water, and a cloth. Unfortunately, wood is more difficult to maintain.
1. Prepare the material
Forget the aggressive and not very ecological products:
– Use a little dish-washing liquid known for its foaming and degreasing properties.
– Work with cold water so that the washing-up liquid does not evaporate (moreover, you will avoid fogging).
– Start with the dirtiest side, usually the outside. This will allow you to see how effective you are once you’ve completed the job on the inside.
– Dust the window frame first so you don’t get your windows dirty again.
– Avoid cleaning the windows on rainy or sunny days to avoid streaking.
Note: it is not recommended to use methylated spirits, as this product can slightly blue your windows.
2. Scrub the glass
– Fill a bucket with cold water and a little dish-washing liquid.
– Dip the wiper or sponge into the bucket, wring it out and scrub to clean the glass.
– Focus on the stains and use a metal scraper to loosen the dirt if necessary.
– Clean the entire surface of the glass; the direction of cleaning does not matter.
Caution: do not scratch your dry glass; it could damage it.
3. Case 1: Use the scraper, French technique
There are two techniques for cleaning foam with a squeegee.
– Squeegee from left to right if you are right-handed and from right to left if you are left-handed.
– Start at the top of the glass and work your way down.
– With each new pass, you should cover about 1/3 of the surface already scraped in the previous pass.
– Clean the squeegee with a cloth between each pass.
– Apply enough pressure to the squeegee, but don’t press too hard, or you’ll bend the blade or make marks.
– Once the glass is wholly scraped, remove any dirt that has settled on the frame with a dry cloth.
3. Case 2: Use the squeegee, the American technique
The American technique is more challenging to master:
– Once your glass is wet, wipe both edges of the vertical jambs and the top horizontal jamb with a cloth.
– Take your squeegee and place it under the top-left edge of the glass.
– Move your squeegee to the right, moving it up the jamb.
– When you get near the top right corner, turn your squeegee to run along the edge of the jamb.
– Join the left edge of the glass by drawing horizontal 8s or mountains.
– Repeat these steps for the entire window.
– Once you reach the bottom of the glass, squeegee horizontally to finish.
Materials needed to clean a window.
Sponge $1 approximately
Glass scraper $2 approx.
Wetting agent Starting at $10
Dish-washing liquid About $2
Bucket Starting at $1
Microfiber wipes $4 approx.
You liked this post? Remember to share your comments below.
– Great Tips to Remove a Vomit Stain;