Mold is the nightmare of most homeowners because it might be a sign that you aren’t taking adequate care of your home, but something these pesky buggers just pop up. So even though finding black mold in your basement or shower can be alarming, it is not the end of the world, and you can remedy that. A small amount of black mold won’t make you sick except if you are immunocompromised.
If you leave it untouched, it will grow and spread, and this will be when you have a real issue; this is why you need to deal with it as soon as you spot it. So, if you ever see black mold in your home, you can get rid of yourself or can call a team of professionals who will do a sweep of your home and will get rid of it.
Can you remove the mold yourself?
The short answer is yea, but you need to be careful while doing this. If you aren’t comfortable doing this yourself, then contact a team of professionals who will get rid of the mold for you in no time. Mold removal procedure begins with identifying the source of the problem so that you can tailor the treatment to your property’s specific needs. You should also look for ways to improve ventilation, and this will prevent future growth before applying products to kill fungus and microorganisms in the impacted area.
This is why you are sometimes recommended to call for help instead of doing this yourself, especially when prolonged exposure to mildew can lead to chronic health problems like asthma and decreased lung capacity. So, if you want to do this yourself, you need to know that mold spores can travel in the air while you are cleaning them, and this is why you should dress for the job. Wear a pair of work jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and a pair of long rubber gloves that will protect your arm and forearm.
You will also want to wear some sort of eye protection like some goggles and a facemask, to prevent the cleaners and bleach from splashing into your eyes or on your exposed skin. If you find that your mold issues are bigger than just a few spots, then this is a sign of a bigger mold problem, and we would recommend calling a team of mold removal for this.
Products that can get rid of mold
There is a list of products out there for you to choose from, but some of the go-to are:
- Concrobium Mold Control Spray
- Caroline Bleach
- Clorox Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover
- CLR Bath and Kitchen Cleaner
These are some pretty strong chemical cleaners, and we are aware that not everyone is willing and sold on using chemical products. This is why we also have a more natural way to remove molds. Just remember, this is a natural solution, and this means that compared to bleach that is a strong chemical, it will take the natural solution more time to get rid of the mold. So these natural solutions are:
- Vinegar– Vinegar is a very useful ingredient to have in your pantry, and it not only makes a good vinaigrette but it is also an excellent natural cleaner. To make this natural cleaner, you’ll have to pour undiluted vinegar into a spray bottle and spray this on the moldy area. Let the vinegar sit on the mold for at least an hour, and then wipe it down. Wipe the area clean with water and allow it to dry. If you feel that you have difficulties removing the mold, then spray more vinegar and let it sit for another hour, and this should do the job.
- Hydrogen Peroxide– In a spray bottle, add about 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide. Spray the area that is afflicted with mold and let the peroxide sit for about 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes have elapsed, scrub the mold away. If you are having difficulties with the mold, just like with the vinegar solution, spray it again on the affected areas, let it sit for another 15 minutes, and scrub again.
How to avoid mold growth?
The EPA, most commonly known as the Environment Protection Agency, says there is no practical way to avoid and eliminate all mold and mold spores in an indoor area. They expand on this and state that the way to control mold and mold growth is to control the moisture within your space. Even if you cleaned the mold thoroughly, if the room is poorly ventilated and there is an excess of moisture, the mold would come back again. Buy a humidifier, or 3; this depends on the size of your home, a humidifier will keep the humidity levels in check at all times, and this will prevent the growth of mold.
Did you find black mold in your home and don’t know how to get rid of it? Don’t worry because Govana Construction Company Corp is here for you and will get rid of it for you in no time. Based in Toronto, their team of highly skilled and professional experts has experience in removing mold, installing drywalls, and can even waterproofing your home. So, what are you waiting for? Call them today and let them help you out with all your construction and home remodeling needs.
[…] later on and never use them, and this is why renting a bin might be a smart idea when it comes to spring cleaning. Decluttering your home can be a real mess even though you are getting rid of the […]
[…] a budget. In general, the more difficult the cleaning is to perform, the more expensive the service will […]
[…] article will go over the most prevalent forms of mould found in houses, how to recognize them, and the health risks associated with […]
[…] Sound off in the comments section below and tell us what you want to read next and if you want to read more about cleaning your bathroom. […]